I have a love-hate relationship with Cuphead; the animation style and characters are great! But it is a frustratingly challenging game! When I successfully defeat one of the bosses, I feel a tremendous sense of accomplishment, though I have not been able to complete the entire game yet. That hasn't stopped me from being excited for the new DLC called The Delicious Last Course since it was announced in 2018. Due to delays — because of COVID-19 — and quality issues, this last course is finally coming out on the 30th of June 2022. Developer MDHR hasn't given us much information on the release other than adding a new playable character named Ms. Chalice. She made an appearance in the original game as Legendary Chalice, but she now joins Cuphead and Mugman on their adventure in a new area called D.L.C. Island. This island is full of new levels and bosses for our heroes to defeat. I am excited to play as this new character. Will Ms. Chalice be a reskin of Cuphead, or will she bring something new to the table? After watching the announcement trailer, here is what we have found out:
- Ms. Chalice can perform a double jump that isn't a parry like Cuphead and Mugman do in the original game.
- Ms. Chalice has a rolling dodge instead of dashing to avoid attacks.
- When she shoots, three shots are blasted at once; these look like little twisted cyclones that arc upward.
- In the trailer, we see her shooting lightning bolts, three at a time again, at one of the bosses. This spread shot she has will help hit multiple areas simultaneously.
- The Last Course has you flying in planes once again; Ms. Chalice throws yellow bombs faster than the bombs used in previous flying stages we have played, and the missiles she shoots are in threes once again.
- Besides having the double jump, Ms. Chalice has a mid-air dash that she uses as her parry move. Once she collides with pink objects, she bounces off, letting her perform a double jump and parry once again. This move will be beneficial to avoid enemy attacks!
- Ms. Chalice isn't only playable in the DLC levels; she is also available to select for play in the main Cuphead game.
I can't wait to try out Ms. Chalice in the original levels. I hope she will help me defeat some of the bosses with her new moves like the dash parry and double jump! Besides the addition of Ms. Chalice, the new D.L.C. Island looks like it will be a great addition to an already fantastic game.
Cuphead - The Delicious Last Course is releasing on the 30th of June 2022; are you excited to check out this new character addition to the Cuphead roster? Is The Delicious Last Course DLC a must-play for you? Let us know in the comments below!