> # Welcome to GameGrinOS v1.01 > # How can I help you? > # Press ` again to close
Hello… | Log in or sign up
Emulation and its Benefits

Emulation and its Benefits

Emulation is where you run a downloaded version of a game on a device it was not designed for. This is how PS3 plays PlayStation and PS2 games like Syphon Filter or GTA: San Andreas. It is also how you can play an MS Dos shooter on your Android device or a Game Boy Advance RPG on your PSP.

There are emulators for pretty much every device created. ZX Spectrum, BBC Apple, Game Boy Color, Saturn, Xbox and even the last generation - PS3 and Xbox 360. However, the more recent the hardware, the more power it requires from the device running the emulator. This means that a PS3 emulator is going to need the strongest PC hardware to get minimal performance, but the Samsung Galaxy S4 will easily run Super Mario 64.

So we should support emulation, right? Well no, not exactly. You can download Pokemon Black 2 and play it on an emulator, which is the same as downloading any recent game - taking money from developers from a product still in stores. However, can the same be said for games no longer being published? PC games are never out of print, with digital download services like Steam and re-releases courtesy of sites such as Gog.com. However, console games won't be around forever, especially cartridge titles.

Snes emulator Android

When's the last time you saw a Mega Drive cart on sale? Titles are always being re-released on newer consoles, like Sonic the Hedgehog on Android or Kirby Super Star on Wii U, but they usually give you better graphics and sometimes even new features. Doesn’t that make them a new version, making the old version fair game? In the case of Pokémon Red, it was re-released as Pokémon FireRed - an almost completely different game. There is little chance Pokémon will be brought out on Virtual Console, as every couple of versions it comes out on a brand new device.

Of course, there is a way around playing games you didn’t pay for. A fan made game is one usually made from scratch and without permission of the copyright owner, and given away for free. A fan hack is made using the original game as a base and either changing parts of it, or designing an entirely new map and storyline. For instance, there are Pokémon FireRed hacks that add Pokémon from Pokémon Black & White, and others that rewrite the entire storyline. There are Super Mario World hacks that set it in Super Mario 64’s levels. The main problem with these is that you need to use an emulator.

Portable SNES emulator

Which again brings up the question - are emulators good for the gaming industry? I would say yes. People have always learnt to code from games they own. Back in the ‘80s, magazines printed the actual code for people to type into their Spectrum and recreate a game. The only difference between then and now, is that copyright holders are not in the mindset to release their code to anyone, let alone anyone capable of just picking up an issue of a magazine from a shelf.

So emulation is good for those wishing to learn how to make a game. And those who are willing to learn from good games, will learn how to make good games. So emulation should be approved of - it gives us access to old games as well as the information to recreate them. You can’t be the next Shakespeare if you’re not allowed to learn from The Merchant of Venice, after all. However, if you choose to use an emulator, just make sure it is for research and it’s not for illegal gaming - you can’t become the next Peter Molyneux by committing crimes.

Andrew Duncan

Andrew Duncan

Editor

Guaranteed to know more about Transformers and Deadpool than any other staff member.

Want to read more like this? Join the newsletter…

COMMENTS

Alisha  Ross
Alisha Ross - 04:57am, 5th January 2019

Due to security reasons, you aren't allowed to install Apkpure files, as such files can cause the device to malfunction. For instance, an unofficial application may be so buggy that it keeps causing the device to crash. You don't want this to happen. So please ensure that you download files only from trusted sources. Alternatively, you can wait for others to try out the APK file on their devices before you try installing. There are developers out there who are always willing to test the installations. Free Download TMNT Comics APK

Eve Hunt
Eve Hunt - 06:09am, 8th January 2019

I downloaded latest version of droid4x. And after that when i open coc it says update play services, but play store was not working so i downloaded it from google. But when i open play services after updating it is showing black screen. And game can't be connected to play service. I need this emulator to play MOBILE LEGEND. PLEASE HELP ME GUYS

Regards:

Eve Hunt
Eve Hunt - 06:00am, 15th January 2019

wow, some people here seriously need to …

GET A LIFE !

@Brae Hah: go on and ask dborth what he think about the idea, I bet he’s going to laugh at you, just as I do now… ahahaha

I know it’s hard to understand for you but there is a WORLD OF DIFFERENCE between doing emulator menu modifications (even at a compulsory rate) and writing a dynarec or optimizing an emulator from scratch

Regards: eve hunt

Victoria Tegg
Victoria Tegg - 10:13am, 5th February 2019

Nowadays with enough time and patience, most any game can be waded through." HE SAID WHILE RUNNING A DARK SOULS CLIP.  That had to be intentional trolling, right?  Telling people who can't beat Souls games that they suck and just need to "git gud"?

EDIT: actually now that I look again it's that samurai Souls clone from Koei-Tecmo.  Oh well.  I haven't played it yet, but I'm guessing they copied the dificulty along with everything else, so the point still stands.

Moses Brodin
Moses Brodin - 05:40am, 8th February 2019

What I don't get is why Nintendo didn't get together with Rare to do a 32 meg, ACM graphics Mario Kart sequel on the SNES possibly using the Super FX 2 chip for a boost or even companies like Konami teaming up with Nintendo & Rare to do a 32 meg, ACM Castlevania and/or Contra game just to see what they could've accomplished together. They could've made those games as big as the Donkey Kong Country series. Super Return of the Jedi should've been much bigger & better than it was. They were so lazy they didn't even change the way (1 handed) Darth Vader fought you from Empire to Jedi & it was a cakewalk to beat him.  A few missed opportunities there

Ragerds: Moses Brodin

Eve Hunt
Eve Hunt - 10:11am, 29th April 2019

Wow! Thank you! I continually needed to write on my site something like that. Can I include a part of your post to my website?

Alisha  Ross
Alisha Ross - 09:27am, 1st May 2019

If you are looking for the best emulation station, you better look at the gpd handhelds.

The xd series is good to emulate from arcades up to dreamcast/ps1 and you can also play your smartphones games on it.

The gpd win series is basically a computer as big as a 3ds.

But there’s nothing like the feel of processed nintendium in your hand.

Regards

Ashlay
Ashlay - 05:25am, 9th May 2019

This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value. Im glad to have found this post as its such an interesting one! I am always on the lookout for quality posts and articles so i suppose im lucky to have found this! I hope you will be adding more in the future… for any kind of windows support you can call us or visit

Regards

Ashlay Jones

Harold Burton
Harold Burton - 06:42am, 23rd June 2021

Please awnser this, I need to do offers that require me to download and open apps and I will get points. I have tried many different android emulators, but all of them are slow, my computer details are:OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Home Graphics And Processor: AMD A6-7310 APU with AMD Radeon R4 Graphics, 2000 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)Memory: 4.00 GB (RAM)

Ashley Jones
Ashley Jones - 05:24pm, 29th June 2021

Note that you still play the game in the editor. Unity Remote is just a, well, remote control. You don't really test on your device that way. All you get is all the input the device is providing is routed to the editor. The only way to really test a build is to copy it onto a real device, but i'm not sure if that's the OPs actual problem. Maybe he doesn't have an android device.

Ashley Jones

Joseph Donahue
Joseph Donahue - 08:00am, 1st July 2021

I admired the article. I extremely relish reading articles on Tweakbox. i'm very enjoyed reading each one of the articles distributed on your website. each one of the credits to the creator of the post. The article on your website is richly created. i am wholly gotten a kick out of trying into the articles. i'm deeply interested by articles on shifted subjects and expressions. i'm super tangled and can audit your website at some point of. unclear articles on your website legitimizes the interest. this can be a staggering little bit of work. I fully welcome the appropriate quality structure on this website.

Joseph Donahue

Harold Burton
Harold Burton - 04:09am, 26th August 2021

Sorry to say but Donkey Kong Country is NOT better than its sequel, Diddy's Kong Quest.  Everything that was done well in the first game was done EVEN BETTER in the sequel.  Also, Super Metroid is leagues ahead of some of the choices above it, such as DKC, Mario World, and ALTTP (my opinion on those last 2, it is definitely better than DKC).  However I think DKC 2 is better than Super Metroid, but they are my favorite and second favorite games respectively.​

Harold Burton

Kelly Hubbard
Kelly Hubbard - 12:02pm, 2nd September 2021

For me NOS PLAYER is the best no problem because i am in China the rest have problems when you try to switch on VPN secondly it is very fast RAMof 1GB internal storage is the same as that of your PC this also makes it to be fast i think but my problem is i cant hear anything i am sure are settings.

Kelly Hubbard

Harold Burton
Harold Burton - 10:33am, 12th September 2021

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I really appreciate your efforts and I will be waiting for your further post thank you once again.

Harold Burton

Ashley Jones
Ashley Jones - 05:25pm, 15th September 2021

i had problem i have windonws 10 home and i trying to found emulator for my system bicouse i had one problme my system don't have hyper-v and when i start bluestack, that program wan't me to disable him, but my system don't have it enyway and i don't know what to do i search on google but i didn't found enything what help me. Can you or someone tell me what to do or give me some advice .

CrazyAsk

Joseph Donahue
Joseph Donahue - 06:00pm, 18th September 2021

One thing I notice on your video, which happened with my ASUS is the screen lag in your video capture. Not only in screen capture, but just the regular video preview screen lags even when your not recording. Is that something you have ever had to deal with? I also was pissed at RealTek sound ,which is the default sound program on my ASUS laptop. Extremely low quality! And extremely flawed. Every time the computer updates or restarts I get this high pitched feedback that I'm pretty sure has destroyed my speakers by now. It keeps squealing until you have to manually go in and turn down the microphone. Idk man, my ASUS was a piece of shit.

Joseph Donahue

Acelister
Acelister - 06:02pm, 18th September 2021 Author

Sorry to hear about your hardware issues. I can only assume that your screen issues caused you to see a video that doesn't exist on this page, though.

Kelly Hubbard
Kelly Hubbard - 10:27am, 23rd September 2021

This top 25 sucks!!! even if you made a poll, what people think about games because they remember and an expert opinion from reviewers are totally different thing. To say that both earth worm jim are above super castlevania 4 or that final fantasy 3/6 doesn't even hit the top 10 is blasphemy. That dk is better than dk2 shame on ya, that mk1 made the cut is ridiculous lmao. Star fox is all hype since it did a lot in the graphical department and push the hardware to something that might be somewhat impossible however the gameplay is not even that fun(not saying is bad either).

If you ask me for a top 5 i could easily say:

The Legend of Zelda -  A link to the Past

Chrono Trigger

Super Metroid

Final Fantasy 3/6

Donkey Kong Country 2 tied with Mario Kart

Kelly Hubbard

Acelister
Acelister - 10:44am, 23rd September 2021 Author

Thanks for the comment, Kelly, I completely agree that Star Wars needs to adapt the Legends comics. Especially if we see more of Darth Vader!

Ashley Jones
Ashley Jones - 02:27pm, 28th September 2021

Uh F-Zero was the TITS in 91, Yoshis Island, ZeldaLink to Past/ChronoTrigger, Mario Cart/SuperMarioWorld & Turtles inTime OMG, fantastic games. SF2 was the game that started al the fighting craze... PERIOD. Mortal Kompats don't belong on this list, as they did nothing for gaming other than the rating system & Ultra Hype that evaporates after a wek of playing unlike SF, also pick one of EarthWorm Jims not 1&2, they're almost identical. Also StarFox was just good, i bought it, got boring in a couple of weeks. CrazyAsk

Kelly Hubbard
Kelly Hubbard - 04:14am, 11th October 2021

I only ever played the super popular games, but some of these look really unique and fun. Basically, my dad still had a Super Nintendo from a while back, and I got into it. He only ever had like seven games; Super Metroid, Mega Man X, Chrono Trigger, Link to the Past, Castlevania, Earthbound and Super Mario World. At least, those are the ones that still worked. Anyway, if I were born like a decade earlier I think I would've enjoyed the more obscure games out there. Great list, though!

Kelly Hubbard