Originally released for GameCube in 2004 (in Europe), FINAL FANTASY CRYSTAL CHRONICLES quickly earned a reputation as a true action-RPG cult-classic. Now, Square Enix has revealed that the game is being remastered and re-released on PlayStation 4, Switch, iOS and Android as FINAL FANTASY CRYSTAL CHRONICLES Remastered Edition. Check out the trailer above for a look at some of the new features coming in the remaster and the generous demo version that'll launch alongside the main game on 27th August for PlayStation 4, Switch, iOS and Android.
Taking the familiar Final Fantasy conventions and placing them within a co-op action-RPG was a recipe for success in 2004, and with the myriad upgrades that accompany this release, it looks to be a recipe for success now too:
- Cross-play support across PlayStation 4, Switch, iOS and Android mean that players can party-up and tackle dungeons no matter which platform they opt for.
- Expanded dungeons offer new surprises for even experienced CRYSTAL CHRONICLES players.
- All-new online multiplayer support brings the game in-step with the standards of modern multiplayer gaming.
- Additional difficulty modes will challenge players of even the GameCube original.
- Quality-of-life and UI improvements make the CRYSTAL CHRONICLES experience smoother than it was back in 2004.
- More than 50 music tracks have been written or re-recorded from the original game by Kumi Tanioka, CRYSTAL CHRONICLES' original composer.
Finally, a demo version will launch alongside the game, giving players access to three specific dungeons. This number expands to 13 if demo players join a co-op party hosted by someone who owns the full game. That's a generous amount of content for a demo.
FINAL FANTASY CRYSTAL CHRONICLES Remastered Edition launches on PlayStation 4, Switch, iOS and Android on 27th August alongside the demo version, FINAL FANTASY CRYSTAL CHRONICLES Remastered Edition Lite.